Women, as a collective are stronger and more confident than ever. We need not fear traveling alone. Carpe Diem Baby! In the words of Helen Keller, “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” Armed with the right information we can begin our adventure with conviction and enthusiasm. I have compiled advice from fellow female singers currently on the road of ways to stay safe while on tour.
Being on tour is a life-changing experience, but your personal safety is an essential element of your adventure’s abroad.
1. The more you look lost and out of place the more of a target you become. As you think about making the shift overseas to sing, you first must find a reputable company to do that with. When I made the big jump I joined el-live productions. I had a family of people looking out for me, telling me what cab companies to trust, how much things should cost, common scams, where not to drink the water etc… knowing the ins and outs of where you are going will help you blend in and not look out of place.
2. Be smart and tuck your smart phones away. If you value your smartphone buy an inexpensive/disposable phone to use on the streets or in public areas. Moral of the story… Don’t tempt the unwanted.
3. We have all heard the saying, “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.” the same holds true for keeping all your valuables in your purse. Example: All Your Money or Your Passport (have a photocopy not the real deal). That way, if by chance your purse does get swiped.. all they will be getting is some lipstick and a hair brush! That’ll teach ‘em!
4. If you are having a night out on the town… travel with a buddy! This is way more fun and safe.
5. Have the phone number of your employer, local hospital or clinic and your countries embassy saved on your phone and in your head.
6. Trust your instincts. If you are feeling nervous or unsure about your safety leave wherever you are. You are probably right.
Most female singers on tour are not only talented but also beautiful. We command attention by our basic existence. We are already being watched/admired which means we must be more mindful. Follow these simple and common safety steps so you can have the most enjoyable time of your life.
Well Ms. Helen Keller… I choose a daring adventure rather than nothing. What about you?